April 8, 2012

"know where to go" ride

Easter is a freak holiday to me; sorry if I offend any Christians who might read this. But between Jesus rising from the dead and a giant bunny rabbit giving hard boiled eggs to children (something perverted about that), I have always thought it to be a holiday made up by stoners. It's just too much of a mix. I mean, Christmas may contain both the birth of Jesus and a fat man in a red suit flying around in a sleigh full of toys lead by reindeer, but who doesn't love the food & drink that comes with it? (hello? - eggnog! - spiked, of course) Easter? Well, you tell me. Beyond the eggs and...er...eggs, what is there? I think I might should go hang with the Jews on this holiday. At least during Seder, they get to consume four cups of wine (and no one thinks that excessive).

I am speaking tongue & cheek, certainly. Hey, celebrate as you please, folks. Me? I chose to ride my bicycle. In fact, I rode today with one of my favorite Jews, Linda. We would have had Debbie join us, but she wasn't feeling well. We would have ridden along PCH, except I offered to drive to Linda's place and ride from there (on the "Know Where to Go" ride - coined for the reason that you just have to know where you're going; there is no route slip). Circumstances change moment to moment it seems. I am not complaining, cause my ride today was lovely and very Eastery in its own little way (mainly, we just saw lots of little girls out in the cutest dresses and bonnets - it is the holiday for hats!).

my fantastic riding buddy along the path...

lots of families out on bikes today...

UCLA rowers out on a holiday?...

We rode from Linda's place on the west side out to Westchester via the Ballona Creek Bike Path. I never tire of the path as it always presents something new and interesting - like today's pelican party. There were at least 10-20 pelicans out in the water frolicking (for lack of a better word). Not sure what they were celebrating, but none wore a bonnet (now, that would have been a photo!).

have NEVER seen this many birds, let alone pelicans, out there - maybe they are celebrating Easter (or Passover)?

these guys may be big, but they are very graceful...

There were also rowers out (on a holiday?), many cyclists and all sorts of just random folks enjoying the unbelievably gorgeous weather we got going on here. Stunning skies, lots of sun and never too hot (actually, a tad chilly along Redondo). I love it here, love it, love it, love it. If only I could transport my family to some compound in Malibu, then it would be perfect (this would be why I buy a lottery ticket every draw). I felt my heart sing as I pedaled along the coastal neighborhoods, riding at a moderate pace with my sweet, humorous friend. We didn't push too hard, but we didn't mosey around either!

Patsy soaking up the rays...

sigh...I don't pay high rents for nothing!...

the bike, the matching hoodie, it all worked...

lots of these convertibles out too...

Linda brought marzipan eggs!...

Our stops for the day were two - once at the dolphin bench (where we normally spot dolphins, but not today) and once at the Local Yolk (a diner Jordan recommended as a perfect breakfast stop - it is!) Otherwise, we booked it. We ended up with 42 miles and some good climbing. I had hoped for 50 miles, but I will not complain. It was simply stunning along the coast and the vibe was positive everywhere we rode.

everyone celebrates in his/her own way...

and the rest of us do not complain...

it would be really awesome to say that I climbed up these...

Linda and my butt cheek (yes, I was there)...


Now, back to Easter. I may think it freaky but it doesn't mean I think others should. So, naturally, I dressed someone up to wish everyone a happy holiday. I was lucky to get even one photo - the bunny ears were not acceptable. I'm thinking my little scaly diva needs to get an attitude check! (that or I need my head checked). Regardless, she survived. And she did produce one photo to share.


Okay, here is where I will ask anyone not interested in apartment crap to exit this blog (and have a nice rest of your Easter). Dad? Share with JT & Mom (as if I need to ask). Below are pics of my new apartment that I love! It's not completely decorated yet, but close enough:

my new door mat - could not resist...

another "could not resist" - perfect place to keep the keys!...

the living room with new TV (I caved)...

the cityscape view off my balcony...

the fun lanterns for color...

the boat...er...couch...

order has been restored (thanks to my very sweet friend who helped hang this 3-panel painting)...


the loveseat no one ever noticed before...


the sofa table I got for a steal off of Craigslist!...

so glad I kept the Ikea cabinet...

home office...

the bookcase & clutter-catcher...

dining room table & dining room window (I've decided against drapes; I like the openness of just blinds)...

the full dining room with breakfast bar & bar stools I got off of Craigslist for cheap & painted myself...

the open kitchen...

the bathroom...

separate tub from shower...

the dragon on my windowsill (not to be confused with the dragon in my bedroom)...


the bedroom as you walk in...

Boo's room is behind the room screen...

one of FIVE (5) closets...did I mention that I love this place!...

That's it so far. Certainly happier this Easter than last (with respect to my living situation for sure, among other things). Hope everyone else enjoyed the holiday...or, at the very least, the weekend!

2 comments:

Peter Ferguson said...

Now that was a very complete and full blog! I feel like digested a big meal and I've ready for a nap! Nice.
Agreed with the "FreakShow" Holiday. Being raised Catholic I'm scarred for life.

Plochman said...

I am so so happy for you ME, you've had a rough couple of years and now looks like your place is awesome and homey looking, if I ever get out there, I would sleep on your floor anyday. Love all the bicycle stuff too ;-) You are the coolest ! Glad you are feeling better too. Pman

Subscribe Now: